DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Septoplasty (SEP-toe-plas-tee) is a surgical procedure to correct a deviated nasal septum — a displacement of the bone and cartilage that divides your two nostrils. During septoplasty, your nasal septum is straightened and repositioned in the middle of your nose. This may require your surgeon to cut and remove parts of your septum before reinserting them in the proper position.
When planning septoplasty, your surgeon considers your symptoms — such as breathing difficulties — and the physical structure and features of your nose. Talk with your surgeon about what septoplasty can achieve for you.
- Septoplasty and turbinate surgery. American Rhinologic Society. http://care.american-rhinologic.org/septoplasty_turbinates. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Fact sheet: Deviated septum. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/deviatedSeptum.cfm. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..X0001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- Preparing for nose surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/nose-surgery-.html?sub=Preparing%20for%20nose%20surgery. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Q & A: Stop smoking. American Society of Anesthesiologists. http://www.lifelinetomodernmedicine.com/Anesthesia-Topics/QA-Stop-Smoking.aspx. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- What to expect during your nose surgery consultation. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/nose-surgery-.html?sub=What%20to%20expect%20during%20your%20nose%20surgery%20consultation. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- Pallanch JF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 23, 2013.