RisksBy Mayo Clinic staff
As with any major surgery, septoplasty carries risks, such as bleeding, infection and an adverse reaction to the anesthesia. Other possible risks specific to septoplasty include:
- Persistence in previous symptoms, such as nasal obstruction, despite surgery
- Excessive bleeding
- A change in the shape of your nose
- An opening in the septum (septal perforation)
- A decrease in the sense of smell
- A collection of blood in the nasal space that would need to be drained (septal hematoma)
- A temporary numb sensation by the upper gum or teeth
Additional surgery may be required to treat some of these complications or if the outcome of the surgery doesn't match your expectations. Talk to your doctor about your specific risks before surgery.
- Septoplasty and turbinate surgery. American Rhinologic Society. http://care.american-rhinologic.org/septoplasty_turbinates. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Fact sheet: Deviated septum. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/deviatedSeptum.cfm. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..X0001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- Preparing for nose surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/nose-surgery-.html?sub=Preparing%20for%20nose%20surgery. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Q & A: Stop smoking. American Society of Anesthesiologists. http://www.lifelinetomodernmedicine.com/Anesthesia-Topics/QA-Stop-Smoking.aspx. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- What to expect during your nose surgery consultation. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/nose-surgery-.html?sub=What%20to%20expect%20during%20your%20nose%20surgery%20consultation. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- Pallanch JF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 23, 2013.