CausesBy Mayo Clinic staff
Any type of sexual activity that leads to orgasm — including masturbation, anal sex, oral sex and intercourse — can trigger sex headaches.
Abrupt-onset and slow-to-build sex headaches can be primary headache disorders not associated with any underlying condition. Sex headaches that come on suddenly are more likely to be associated with:
- A widening or bubble in the wall of an artery inside your head (intracranial aneurysm)
- An abnormal connection between arteries and veins in the brain (arteriovenous malformation) that bleeds into the spinal fluid-filled space in and around the brain
- Bleeding into the wall of an artery leading to the brain (dissection)
- Coronary artery disease
- Use of some medications, such as birth control pills
- Inflammation from certain infections
Sex headaches associated with loss of consciousness, vomiting, stiff neck, other neurologic symptoms and severe pain lasting more than 24 hours are more likely to be due to an underlying cause.
- F Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm#142883138. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Preorgasmic headache. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.04.01_other.html. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Orgasmic headache. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.04.02_other.html. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Lange SE. Primary headache disorders in the emergency department. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal. 2011;33:237.
- Wong WS, et al. The ''other'' headaches: Primary cough, exertion, sex and primary stabbing headaches. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010;14:41.
- Pascual J, et al. Orgasmic headaches: Clinical features, diagnosis and management. Headache. 2000;40:491.
- Pascual J. Other primary headaches. Neurologic Clinics. 2009;27:557.
- Bartleson JD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2012.