Treatments and drugsBy Mayo Clinic staff
In some cases, your first sex headache may also be your only one. Some sex headaches improve rapidly, so the pain is gone before any pain reliever can work. Because of reports that engaging in sex soon after experiencing a sex headache can cause even worse pain, you may be advised to refrain from sexual activity until your last headache has completely resolved.
If you have a history of sex headaches and there's no underlying cause, your doctor may recommend that you take preventive medications regularly. These may include:
- Daily medications. Beta blockers, for example, propranolol (Inderal, Innopran XL) — which are used to treat high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and migraines — may be taken daily to prevent sex headaches. They're recommended only if you have frequent or prolonged attacks.
- Occasional medications. Indomethacin (Indocin), an anti-inflammatory, or one of the triptans, a class of anti-migraine medications, can be taken an hour before sex to ward off headaches.
- F Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm#142883138. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Preorgasmic headache. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.04.01_other.html. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Orgasmic headache. International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/04.04.02_other.html. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Lange SE. Primary headache disorders in the emergency department. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal. 2011;33:237.
- Wong WS, et al. The ''other'' headaches: Primary cough, exertion, sex and primary stabbing headaches. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010;14:41.
- Pascual J, et al. Orgasmic headaches: Clinical features, diagnosis and management. Headache. 2000;40:491.
- Pascual J. Other primary headaches. Neurologic Clinics. 2009;27:557.
- Bartleson JD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2012.