How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
Before the skin biopsy, tell your doctor if you:
- Have been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder
- Have experienced excessive bleeding after other medical procedures
- Are taking blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin, aspiring-containing medications, warfarin (Coumadin) or heparin
- Have a history of skin infections, including impetigo
- Are taking medications that suppress the immune system, such as diabetes medications or medications used after an organ transplant
- Alguire PC, et al. Skin biopsy techniques. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 28, 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Dec. 28, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Dec. 28, 2012.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 14, 2013.