ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Some people who start out with cervical dystonia eventually develop similar symptoms in neighboring regions, such as the shoulder or face. However, cervical dystonia in middle age does not expand to wide areas of the body, as may occur in children.
The disability and pain that can be caused by cervical dystonia may result in depression.
- Dystonias fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystonias/detail_dystonias.htm. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Bang MS, et al. Cervical dystonia. In: Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/223619158-5/1072359570/1678/124.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-4007-1..50107-3_1714. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Comelia C. Classification and evaluation of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Singer C, et al. Cervical dystonia: Etiology and pathophysiology. Neurological Clinics. 2008;26(suppl 1):9.
- McNicoll L, et al. Dystonia. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1073503008&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00013-5--s3170&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00013-5--s3170&uniqId=223955816-3. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Comella C. Treatment of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.