Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Severe cases of cervical dystonia may make you feel uncomfortable in social situations or even limit your abilities to accomplish everyday tasks such as driving. Many people with cervical dystonia feel isolated and depressed.
Remember that you're not alone. A number of organizations and support groups are dedicated to providing information and support for you and your family — whether you have the disorder or you have a friend or family member who does.
Your doctor may be able to suggest support groups available in your area, or there are a number of good sites on the Internet with information about local support groups.
- Dystonias fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystonias/detail_dystonias.htm. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Bang MS, et al. Cervical dystonia. In: Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/223619158-5/1072359570/1678/124.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-4007-1..50107-3_1714. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Comelia C. Classification and evaluation of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Singer C, et al. Cervical dystonia: Etiology and pathophysiology. Neurological Clinics. 2008;26(suppl 1):9.
- McNicoll L, et al. Dystonia. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1073503008&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00013-5--s3170&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00013-5--s3170&uniqId=223955816-3. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Comella C. Treatment of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.