Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
While you might first discuss your symptoms with your family doctor, he or she may refer you to a neurologist — a doctor who specializes in disorders of the brain and nervous system — for further evaluation.
What you can do
Because appointments can be brief, plan ahead and write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms, including when they started and if anything makes them better or worse
- Information about medical problems you've had in the past, such as strokes or head injuries
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
In addition to conducting a physical exam, your doctor may also check your neurological health by testing your:
- Muscle strength
- Muscle tone
- Senses of touch and sight
- Dystonias fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystonias/detail_dystonias.htm. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Bang MS, et al. Cervical dystonia. In: Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/223619158-5/1072359570/1678/124.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-4007-1..50107-3_1714. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Comelia C. Classification and evaluation of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Singer C, et al. Cervical dystonia: Etiology and pathophysiology. Neurological Clinics. 2008;26(suppl 1):9.
- McNicoll L, et al. Dystonia. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1073503008&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00013-5--s3170&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00013-5--s3170&uniqId=223955816-3. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.
- Comella C. Treatment of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 25, 2010.