How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
Follow your doctor's instructions about whether you should avoid use of inhaled breathing medications or other medications before the test. Other steps to take include:
- Wear loose clothing that won't interfere with your ability to take a deep breath.
- Avoid eating a large meal before your test, so it will be easier to breathe.
- What are lung function tests? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/lft/lft_whatare.html. Accessed May 18, 2011.
- Hegewald MJ, et al. Spirometry. In: Mason RJ, et al. Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/192068760-2/0/1288/0.html. Accessed May 18, 2011.
- Enright PL. Office spirometry. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 18, 2011.