Alternative medicineBy Mayo Clinic staff
People with nonulcer stomach pain often turn to complementary and alternative medicine to help them cope. No complementary or alternative treatments are proven to cure nonulcer stomach pain. But when used along with your doctor's care, complementary and alternative treatments may provide relief from your signs and symptoms.
If you're interested in complementary and alternative treatments, talk to your doctor about:
- Herbal supplements. Herbal remedies that may be of some benefit for nonulcer stomach pain include peppermint and caraway oil. These supplements haven't been proved to cure nonulcer stomach pain.
- Hypnosis. Hypnosis is a deep state of concentration that you can achieve by working with a therapist. If other treatment hasn't helped, hypnotherapy treatment may help relieve the signs and symptoms of nonulcer stomach pain.
- Relaxation techniques. Activities that help you relax may help you control and cope with your signs and symptoms. Consider trying meditation, yoga or other activities that may help reduce your stress levels.
- Borkan J, et al. Dyspepsia, nonulcerative. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=287085263-2. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Tack J. Dyspepsia. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Indigestion. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/indigestion/index.aspx. Accessed Oct. 17, 2011.
- Loyd RA, et al. Update on the evaluation and management of functional dyspepsia. American Family Physician. 2011;83:547.