Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
Tests and procedures used to diagnose stomach polyps include:
- Endoscopy, to view the inside of your stomach
- Tissue sample (biopsy), which can be removed during endoscopy and analyzed in the laboratory
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. http://www.mdconsult.com/book/player/linkTo?type=bookHome&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&uniq=200844987-3. Accessed Aug. 19, 2012.
- Kumar V, et al. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0792-2..X5001-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0792-2&uniqId=352179482-8. Accessed Aug. 19, 2012.
- Goddard AF, et al. The management of gastric polyps. Gut. 2010;59:1270.
- Park DY, et al. Gastric polyps: Classification and management. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2008;132:633.
- Picco MP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 22, 2012.
- H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.htm. Accessed Aug. 20, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Do cystic fundic gland polyps need to be treated? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.