Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
You're likely to first bring your concerns to the attention of your family doctor. If you are a competitive athlete, you might go directly to a doctor who specializes in musculoskeletal problems.
What you can do
Before the appointment, you may want to write a list that answers the following questions:
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Does any activity make your symptoms better or worse?
- What types of sports and activities do you enjoy?
- Have you recently increased your physical activity?
- What other types of medical problems do you have?
- What types of medicines and supplements do you take?
What to expect from your doctor
During the exam, your doctor will ask about your symptoms, physical activities and general health. He or she will press on the bones and soft tissues around the site of your pain, to try to pinpoint what exactly has been injured.
- Choi L. Stress fractures. In: DeLee JC, et al. DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..10014-4--s0160&isbn=978-1-4160-3143-7&sid=1047023574&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..10014-4--s0160&uniqId=217064656-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..10014-4--s0160. Accessed Sept. 1, 2010.
- Stress fractures. American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society. http://www.aofas.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=54. Accessed Sept. 1, 2010.
- deWeber K. Overview of stress fractures. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 1, 2010.
- Dugan S. Stress fractures. In: Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/217064656-5/1047023574/1678/73.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-4007-1..50072-9_1152. Accessed Sept. 1, 2010.
- Glossary of orthopaedic diagnostic tests. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00272. Accessed Sept. 1, 2010.