Stress basics (9)
- Stress symptoms: Effects on your body and behavior
- Chronic stress puts your health at risk
- How to be happy: Tips for cultivating contentment
- see all in Stress basics
Stress relief (23)
- Stress relief from laughter? It's no joke
- Spirituality and stress relief: Make the connection
- Need stress relief? Try the 4 A's
- see all in Stress relief
Relaxation techniques (10)
- Massage: Get in touch with its many benefits
- Yoga: Fight stress and find serenity
- Tai chi: A gentle way to fight stress
- see all in Relaxation techniques
Problem-solving techniques for stress management
Put your plan into action
It may help to write down the details of your plan. Be sure to really commit to it before giving up or trying something else. Believe in yourself and go for it.
Reflect on your experience
You're not done problem-solving quite yet. Experience is a great teacher, if you're willing to take a little time for reflection.
- Did your solution solve the problem?
- If not, what issues remain unresolved?
- What would you do differently the next time?
Problem-solving is a natural human talent. We're born solving problems from our first attempts as babies to grasp and crawl. We may not count the thousands of choices we make each day as problem-solving, but that's what they are. So when you focus on solving more complicated problems, have the confidence of knowing that you've got plenty of experience behind you.Previous page
(2 of 2)
- Seaward BL. The Art of Peace and Relaxation Workbook. 6th ed. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones and Bartlett Publishers; 2008:172.
- Seaward BL. Managing Stress: Principles and Strategies for Health and Well-Being. 6th ed. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones and Bartlett Publishers; 2009:289.
- Butler G, et al. Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 1995:61.
- The impact of stress: 2012. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2012/impact.aspx#. Accessed April 10, 2013.
- Creagan ET (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2013.
- Wheeler CM. 10 Simple Solutions to Stress. Oakland, Calif.: New Harbinger Publications; 2007:39.