SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|Polymorphous light eruption|
The appearance of skin affected by sun allergy can vary widely, depending on the disorder that's causing the problem. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Itching or pain
- Tiny bumps that may merge into raised patches
- Scaling, crusting or bleeding
- Blisters or hives
Signs and symptoms usually occur only on skin that has been exposed to the sun and typically develop within minutes to hours after sun exposure.
When to see a doctor
See a doctor if you have unusual, bothersome skin reactions after exposure to sunlight. For severe or persistent symptoms, you may need to see a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating skin disorders (dermatologist).
- Elmets CA. Photosensitivity disorders (photodermatoses): Clinical manifestations, diagnosis and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 29, 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed June 29, 2012.
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00014-3--s0235&isbn=978-1-4377-1678-8&sid=1328139176&uniqId=343465713-3#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00014-3--s0240. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- Elmets CA. Polymorphous light eruption. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- Elmets CA. Overview of cutaneous photosensitivity: Photobiology, patient evaluation and photoprotection. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 2, 2012.