DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|Swollen lymph nodes|
Swollen lymph nodes usually occur as a result of exposure to a bacteria or virus. Less commonly, swollen lymph nodes are caused by cancer.
Your lymph nodes, also called lymph glands, play a vital role in your body's ability to fight off viruses, bacteria and other causes of illnesses. Common areas where you might notice swollen lymph nodes include your neck, under your chin, in your armpits and in your groin.
Swollen lymph nodes may become inflamed. This is known as lymphadenitis (lim-fad-uh-NI-tis). Treatment for lymphadenitis depends on the cause. In some cases, the passage of time and the use of over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers and warm compresses may be all you need to treat swollen lymph nodes. For more serious cases, treatment of swollen lymph nodes involves treating the underlying cause.
- Armitage JO. Approach to the patient with lymphadenopathy and splenomegaly. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/224582198-6/0/1492/0.html. Accessed Oct. 29, 2010.
- Fletcher RH. Evaluation of peripheral lymphadenopathy in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.
- Henry PH, et al. Enlargement of lymph nodes and spleen. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw Hill Medical; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2875326. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.
- Lymphadenitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec10/ch119/ch119j.html#sec10-ch119-ch119j-691. Accessed Dec. 5, 2010.
- Mohler ER, et al. Lymphedema: Etiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 6, 2010.
- Rosenberg TL, et al. Evaluating the adult patient with a neck mass. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:1017.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 7, 2010.