RisksBy Mayo Clinic staff
Scarring is likely after most types of tattoo removal. Infection or skin discoloration is possible as well.
- Schmidt RM, et al. Tattooing in adolescents and young adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Burris K, et al. Tattoo removal. Clinics in Dermatology. 2007;25:388.
- Yim GH, et al. The perils of do it yourself chemical tattoo removal. Eplasty. 2010;10:1.
- Wenzel S, et al. Recurring mistakes in tattoo removal: A case series. Dermatology. 2009;218:164.
- Tattoo removal information. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/TattooRemovalInformation.aspx. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Tanzi EL, et al. Skin resurfacing: Ablative lasers, chemical peels, and dermabrasion. In: Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3007421. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.
- Adatto MA, et al. Tattoo removal. Current Problems in Dermatology. 2011;42:97.
- Kent KM, et al. Laser tattoo removal: A review. Dermatologic Surgery. In press. Accessed Dec. 2, 2011.