Sexual health basics (5)
- Sex therapy
- Sex headaches
- Compulsive sexual behavior
- see all in Sexual health basics
Women's sexual health (21)
- Women's sexual health: Talking about your sexual needs
- Combination birth control pills
- Female condom
- see all in Women's sexual health
Men's sexual health (16)
- Penis-enlargement products: Do they work?
- Delayed ejaculation
- Erectile dysfunction
- see all in Men's sexual health
Sex and aging (3)
- Senior sex: Tips for older men
- Sexual health and aging: Keep the passion alive
- Testosterone therapy: Key to male vitality?
Talking to kids about sex (5)
- Teens and sex: Protecting your teen's sexual health
- Cervical cancer vaccine: Who needs it, how it works
- Sex education: Talking to your teen about sex
- see all in Talking to kids about sex
Testosterone therapy: Key to male vitality?
Can testosterone therapy promote youth and vitality?
Testosterone therapy can help reverse the effects of hypogonadism, but it's unclear whether testosterone therapy would have any benefit for older men who are otherwise healthy.
Although some men believe that taking testosterone medications may help them feel younger and more vigorous as they age, few rigorous studies have examined testosterone therapy in men who have healthy testosterone levels — and some small studies have revealed mixed results. For example, in one study healthy men who took testosterone medications increased muscle mass but didn't gain strength.
What are the risks of testosterone therapy for normal aging?
Testosterone therapy has various risks. For example, testosterone therapy may:
- Contribute to sleep apnea — a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts
- Cause your body to make too many red blood cells (polycythemia), which can increase the risk of heart disease
- Cause acne or other skin reactions
- Stimulate noncancerous growth of the prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia) and possibly stimulate growth of existing prostate cancer
- Enlarge breasts
- Limit sperm production or cause testicle shrinkage
Should you talk to your doctor about testosterone therapy?
If you wonder whether testosterone therapy might be right for you, talk with your doctor about the risks and benefits. A medical condition that leads to an unusual decline in testosterone may be a reason to take supplemental testosterone. However, treating normal aging with testosterone therapy is not currently advisable.Previous page
(2 of 2)
- Tostain JL, et al. Testosterone deficiency: A common, unrecognized syndrome. Nature Clinical Practice Urology. 2008;5:388.
- Amore M, et al. Partial androgen deficiency, depression and testosterone treatment in aging men. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research. 2009;21:1.
- Baum NH, et al. Testosterone replacement in elderly men. Geriatrics. 2007;62:15.
- Emmelot-Vonk MH, et al. Effect of testosterone supplementation on functional mobility, cognition, and other parameters in older men: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2008;299:39.
- Bassil N, et al. Late-life onset hypogonaddism: A review. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2010;26:197.
- Harman SM. Endocrine changes with aging. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2012.
- Snyder PJ. Decline in testicular function with aging. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2012.
- Traish AM, et al. Testosterone deficiency. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:578.