Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Factors that may increase the risk of thyroid cancer include:
- Exposure to high levels of radiation. Examples of high levels of radiation include those that come from radiation treatment to the head and neck and from fallout from such sources as nuclear power plant accidents or weapons testing.
- Personal or family history of goiter. Goiter is a noncancerous enlargement of the thyroid.
- Certain inherited genetic syndromes. Genetic syndromes that increase the risk of thyroid cancer include familial medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia and familial adenomatous polyposis.
- Lal G, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid carcinoma. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid cancer: Detailed guide. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ThyroidCancer/DetailedGuide/index. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Prinz RA, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Consideration of potassium iodide in emergency planning. United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission. http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/about-emerg-preparedness/potassium-iodide.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nuclear power plant emergency preparedness. Federal Emergency Management Agency. http://www.nukepills.com/docs/FEMA_Nuclear_Power_Plant_Emergency.pdf. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Tuttle RM. Overview of the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2011.