SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Thyroid cancer typically doesn't cause any signs or symptoms early in the disease. As thyroid cancer grows, it may cause:
- A lump that can be felt through the skin on your neck
- Changes to your voice, including increasing hoarseness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Pain in your neck and throat
- Swollen lymph nodes in your neck
When to see a doctor
If you experience any these signs or symptoms, make an appointment with your doctor. Thyroid cancer isn't common, so your doctor may investigate other causes of your signs and symptoms first.
- Lal G, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid carcinoma. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid cancer: Detailed guide. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ThyroidCancer/DetailedGuide/index. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Prinz RA, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Consideration of potassium iodide in emergency planning. United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission. http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/about-emerg-preparedness/potassium-iodide.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nuclear power plant emergency preparedness. Federal Emergency Management Agency. http://www.nukepills.com/docs/FEMA_Nuclear_Power_Plant_Emergency.pdf. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Tuttle RM. Overview of the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2011.