ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Complications associated with thyroid nodules include:
- Problems swallowing or breathing. Large nodules or a multinodular goiter — an enlargement of the thyroid gland containing several distinct nodules — can interfere with swallowing or breathing.
- Hyperthryoidism. Problems can occur when a nodule or goiter produces thyroid hormone, leading to hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism in turn can result in unintended weight loss, muscle weakness, heat intolerance, and anxiousness or irritability. Potential complications of hyperthyroidism include heart-related complications; weak bones (osteoporosis); and thyrotoxic crisis, a sudden and potentially life-threatening intensification of your signs and symptoms that requires immediate medical care.
- Problems associated with thyroid cancer. If a thyroid nodule is cancerous, surgery is usually required. Generally, most or all of your thyroid gland is removed, after which you'll need to take thyroid hormone replacement therapy for the rest of your life. Most thyroid cancers are found early, though, and have a good prognosis.
- Thyroid nodules. American Thyroid Association. www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Nodules_brochure.pdf. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Ross DS. Diagnostic approach to and treatment of thyroid nodules. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Ross DS. Overview of thyroid nodule formation. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Approach to the patient with a thyroid nodule. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch152/ch152b.html?qt=thyroid%20nodules&alt=sh. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Cooper DS, et al. Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid. 2009;19:1167.
- Lee GA, et al. Disorders of the thyroid gland. In: Lalwani AK. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2829111. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Clark OH. Evaluation of thyroid nodules & goiter. In: Doherty GM. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Surgery. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=5213707. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Ross DS. Cystic thyroid nodules. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 29, 2010.
- Goiter. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Goiter_brochure.pdf. Accessed Nov. 29, 2010.
- Thyroid cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003144-pdf.pdf. Accessed Nov. 29, 2010.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 3, 2010.