SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
If you've torn your meniscus, you may experience the following signs and symptoms in your knee:
- A popping sensation
- Swelling or stiffness
- Pain, especially when twisting or rotating your knee
- Difficulty straightening your knee fully or experiencing what feels like a block to movement of your knee, as if your knee were locked in place
When to see a doctor
Contact your doctor if your knee is painful or swollen, or you can't move your knee like usual.
- Miller RH, et al. Menisci. In: Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-03329-9..50046-5--cesec15&isbn=978-0-323-03329-9&sid=1090862192&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-03329-9..50046-5--cesec18&uniqId=228828360-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-03329-9..50046-5--cesec18. Accessed Dec. 2, 2010.
- Meniscal tears. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00358. Accessed Dec. 2, 2010.
- Anderson BC. Meniscal injury of the knee. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 2, 2010.
- Knee arthroscopy. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00299. Accessed Dec. 2, 2010.