ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
The most significant complication of tricuspid atresia is a lack of oxygen to your baby's tissues (hypoxemia). This can be life-threatening.
Complications later in life
Although treatment greatly improves the outcome for babies with tricuspid atresia, they may still have the following complications later in life, even after surgery:
- Formation of blood clots that may lead to a clot blocking an artery in the lungs (pulmonary embolism) or to a stroke
- Easily tiring when participating in sports or other exercise
- Heart rhythm abnormalities (arrhythmias)
- Single-ventricle defects. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/Single-Ventricle-Defects_UCM_307037_Article.jsp. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.
- Hay WW, et al.. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=14. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.
- Congenital heart defects. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/birthdefects_congenitalheart.html. Accessed Sept. 9, 2012.
- Tricuspid atresia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/pediatrics/congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies/tricuspid_atresia.html. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.
- Ohuchi H, et al. Long-term serial aerobic exercise capacity and hemodynamic properties in clinically and hemodynamically good, "excellent," Fontan survivors. Circulation Journal. 2012;76:195.
- Berg C, et al. Prenatal diagnosis of tricuspid atresia: Intrauterine course and outcome. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2010;35:183.
- Crawford MH, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Cardiology. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=8. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.
- Infective endocarditis. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/TheImpactofCongenitalHeartDefects/Infective-Endocarditis_UCM_307108_Article.jsp. Accessed Sept. 9, 2012.