Alternative medicineBy Mayo Clinic staff
There are no alternative medicine therapies that have been proven to cure urinary incontinence. Some treatments, such as hypnotherapy, magnetic stimulation and reflexology, have been tried, but there is no definitive evidence that any of these therapies can help reduce symptoms. One therapy that has shown some promise in reducing the symptoms of urinary incontinence is acupuncture. However, more research is needed before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Urinary incontinence. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec17/ch228/ch228b.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Urinary incontinence in women. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/pdf/UI-Women.pdf. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- DuBeau CE. Epidemiology, risk factors, and pathogenesis of urinary incontinence. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- DuBeau CE. Treatment of urinary incontinence. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Quentin Clemins J. Urinary incontinence in men. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Deng DY. Urinary incontinence in women. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011; 95:101.
- Fong E. Urinary incontinence. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:599.
- Incontinence. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Hartmann KE, et al. Treatment of Overactive Bladder in Women. Rockville, Md.: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK32542/. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Nygaard A. Idiopathic urgency urinary incontinence. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1156.
- Urgent PC. Uroplasty Inc. http://www.uroplasty.com/patients/urgentpc. Accessed May 11, 2011.
- Clinician training & resources FAQ. FemSoft insert: Instructions for women. http://www.femsofttraining.com. Accessed June 17, 2011.