DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Urinary incontinence — the loss of bladder control — is a common and often embarrassing problem. The severity of urinary incontinence ranges from occasionally leaking urine when you cough or sneeze to having an urge to urinate that's so sudden and strong you don't get to a toilet in time.
If urinary incontinence affects your day-to-day activities, don't hesitate to see your doctor. In most cases, simple lifestyle changes or medical treatment can ease your discomfort or stop urinary incontinence.
- Urinary incontinence. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec17/ch228/ch228b.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Urinary incontinence in women. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/pdf/UI-Women.pdf. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- DuBeau CE. Epidemiology, risk factors, and pathogenesis of urinary incontinence. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- DuBeau CE. Treatment of urinary incontinence. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Quentin Clemins J. Urinary incontinence in men. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Deng DY. Urinary incontinence in women. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011; 95:101.
- Fong E. Urinary incontinence. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:599.
- Incontinence. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Hartmann KE, et al. Treatment of Overactive Bladder in Women. Rockville, Md.: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK32542/. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Nygaard A. Idiopathic urgency urinary incontinence. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1156.
- Urgent PC. Uroplasty Inc. http://www.uroplasty.com/patients/urgentpc. Accessed May 11, 2011.
- Clinician training & resources FAQ. FemSoft insert: Instructions for women. http://www.femsofttraining.com. Accessed June 17, 2011.