ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
When treated promptly and properly, lower urinary tract infections rarely lead to complications. But left untreated, a urinary tract infection can have serious consequences.
Complications of UTIs may include:
- Recurrent infections, especially in women who experience three or more UTIs
- Permanent kidney damage from an acute or chronic kidney infection (pyelonephritis) due to an untreated UTI, especially in young children
- Increased risk of women delivering low birth weight or premature infants
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Urinary tract infection in adults. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/utiadult/index.aspx. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Lentz GM, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-323-06986-1&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-06986-1..C2009-0-48752-X--TOP. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Urinary tract infections in children. American Urological Association Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=46. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- McPherson RA, et al. Henry's Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. 22nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1393/0.html. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Hooton TM. Recurrent urinary tract infection in women. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Wang CH, et al. Cranberry-containing products for prevention of urinary tract infections in susceptible populations. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2012;172:988.
- Cranberry. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- Jepson RG, et al. Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001321.pub4/abstract. Accessed July 31, 2012.