Treatments and drugsBy Mayo Clinic staff
While no specific treatment exists for most viral hemorrhagic fevers, the antiviral drug ribavirin (Rebetol,Virazole, others) may help shorten the course of some infections and prevent complications in some cases.
Supportive care is essential. To prevent dehydration, you may need fluids to help maintain your balance of electrolytes — minerals that are critical to nerve and muscle function.
Surgical and other procedures
Some people may benefit from kidney dialysis, an artificial way of removing wastes from your blood when your kidneys fail.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Viral hemorrhagic fevers: Fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/mnpages/dispages/vhf.htm. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Rollin PE. Viral hemorrhagic fevers. 2012 Yellow Book. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/viral-hemorrhagic-fevers.htm. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Ippolito G, et al. Viral hemorrhagic fevers: Advancing the level of treatment. BMC Medicine. 2012;10:1741.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Meltzer E. Arboviruses and viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF). Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2012;26:479.
- Wilder-Smith A. Dengue infections in travellers. Paediatrics and International Child Health. 2012;32:28.
- MacNeil A, et al. Ebola and Marburg hemorrhagic fevers: Neglected tropical diseases? Public Library of Science. 2012;6:e1546.
- Clean up rodent food sources and nesting sites. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/prevent_infestations/clean_up.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2012.