A single copy of this article may be reprinted for personal, noncommercial use only.
Vitamin B-12 injections for weight loss: Do they work?By Mayo Clinic staff
Original Article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-b12-injections/AN01400
- With Mayo Clinic nutritionist
Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.read biographyclose window
Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
As a specialty editor for the nutrition and healthy eating guide, Katherine Zeratsky helps you sort through the facts and figures, the fads and the hype to learn more about nutrition and diet.
A Marinette, Wis., native, Katherine is certified in dietetics by the state of Minnesota and the American Dietetic Association. She has been with Mayo Clinic since 1999.
She is active in nutrition-related curriculum and course development in wellness nutrition at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and nutrition education related to weight management and practical applications of nutrition-related lifestyle changes.
Other areas of interest include food and nutrition for all life stages, active lifestyles and the culinary arts.
She graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, served a dietetic internship at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, and worked as a registered dietitian and health risk counselor at ThedaCare of Appleton, Wis., before joining the Mayo Clinic staff.
Weight-loss basics (8)
- Metabolism and weight
- Weight-loss hypnosis: Does it work?
- How is brown fat different from other fat?
- see all in Weight-loss basics
Diet plans (8)
- The Special K diet: Helpful for weight loss?
- Vegetarian diet: Will it help me lose weight?
- Flat Belly Diet: Can it help you lose weight?
- see all in Diet plans
Mayo Clinic diet (1)
- Weight loss: Better to cut calories or exercise more?
Diet and exercise (4)
- Can I use yoga for weight loss?
- Walking: Is it enough for weight loss?
- Negative-calorie foods: Diet gimmick or weight-loss aid?
- see all in Diet and exercise
Diet pills, supplements and surgery (14)
- Lipovarin: An effective weight-loss supplement?
- Ear stapling for weight loss: Does it work?
- Coconut oil and weight loss: Does it work?
- see all in Diet pills, supplements and surgery
Vitamin B-12 injections for weight loss: Do they work?
Are vitamin B-12 injections helpful for weight loss?
from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
There's no solid evidence that vitamin B-12 injections aid weight loss.
Vitamin B-12 is a water-soluble B complex vitamin found naturally in a variety of foods, including meat, fish and dairy products. Vitamin B-12 is also added to some foods and is available as a dietary supplement. Vitamin B-12 injections are commonly prescribed to help prevent or treat pernicious anemia and B-12 deficiency.
Some weight-loss clinics offer vitamin B-12 injections as part of their weight-loss programs. Proponents of vitamin B-12 injections say the shots give you more energy and boost your metabolism, helping you shed unwanted pounds. But unless you have a vitamin B-12 deficiency, vitamin B-12 injections aren't likely to give you an energy boost.
Getting large amounts of vitamin B-12 through vitamin B-12 injections isn't likely to harm your health. But vitamin B-12 can interfere with the effectiveness of some medications, so if you receive vitamin B-12 injections, be sure to let your doctor know.
If you're hoping to lose weight, resist the lure of quick and easy solutions. What counts is a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy healthier foods and include physical activity in your daily routine.Next question
Apple cider vinegar for weight loss: Effective?
- Vitamin B12. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 8, 2012.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Vitamin B12. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12.asp. Accessed May 8, 2012.
- Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 8, 2012.