SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Signs and symptoms of vulvar cancer may include:
- Itching that doesn't go away
- Pain and tenderness
- Bleeding that isn't from menstruation
- Skin changes, such as color changes or thickening
- A lump, wart-like bumps or an open sore (ulcer)
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your primary care doctor or gynecologist if you experience any vulvar signs or symptoms that worry you, such as:
- Abnormal bleeding
- Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Lentz GM, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-323-06986-1&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-06986-1..C2009-0-48752-X--TOP. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Fuh KC, et al. Current management of vulvar cancer. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America. 2012;26:45.
- Carter JS, et al. Vulvar and vaginal cancer. Obstetrics & Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2012;39:213.
- Elkas JC, et al. Vulvar cancer: Staging, treatment and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Surgery for cancer of the vulva (vulvectomy). American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/PhysicalSideEffects/SexualSideEffectsinWomen/SexualityfortheWoman/sexuality-for-women-with-cancer-vulvectomy. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ088. Disorders of the vulva. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/For_Patients. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ073. Human papillomavirus infection. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/For_Patients. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Edge SB, et al. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: Springer; 2010:379.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 8, 2012.