- Slide show: Tips for choosing and using walkers
- Slide show: Age-related vision problems
- Slide show: Balance exercises
- Slide show: Tips for choosing and using canes
Slide show: Tips for choosing and using walkersBy Mayo Clinic staff
Types of walkers
If you have difficulty balancing or you're at risk of falling, a walker can make it easier for you to get around — whether you use the walker temporarily or as a permanent aid.
If stability is a significant concern, you might choose a standard walker without wheels — which you must pick up to move. Many people, however, choose between two-wheel and four-wheel walkers.
A two-wheel walker allows you to place weight on the walker as you move. The legs with wheels allow you to easily push the walker forward, and the legs without wheels prevent the walker from rolling while you're stepping forward. If you don't need to lean on the walker for balance, you might be able to walk faster with a four-wheel walker.Next slide
- Falls and older adults: Frequently asked questions. National Institute on Aging. http://nihseniorhealth.gov/falls/printerFriendly.html?selectedTopics=selectTopic&faqs=Frequently+Asked+Questions&print=Confirm+print+selection. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- How to use crutches, canes, and walkers. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00181. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Van Hook FW, et al. Ambulatory devices for chronic gait disorders in the elderly. American Academy of Family Physicians. 2003;67:1717.
- Faruqui SR, et al. Ambulatory assistive devices in orthopaedics: Uses and modifications. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2010;18:41.
- Liu HH. Assessment of rolling walkers used by older adults in senior-living communities. Geriatrics & Gerontology International. 2009;9:124.
- Canes and walkers. The AGS Foundation for Health in Aging. http://www.healthinaging.org/public_education/tools/10_canes_walkers.pdf. Accessed Nov. 19, 2010.
- Madson TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 22, 2010.