Diet plansBy Mayo Clinic staff
When it comes to weight loss, there's no shortage of diet plans. Check any magazine rack, and you're bound to see the latest and greatest diet plans. But how do you know if a diet plan fits your needs and lifestyle? Ask yourself these questions about any diet plan you're considering:
- Does it include various foods from the major food groups: fruits, vegetables, grains, low-fat dairy products, lean protein sources, nuts and seeds?
- Does it include foods you like and that you would enjoy eating for a lifetime — not just for several weeks or months?
- Can you easily find these food in your local grocery store?
- Will you be able to eat your favorite foods, or better yet, all foods?
- Does it fit your lifestyle and budget?
- Does it include proper amounts of nutrients and calories to help you lose weight safely and effectively?
- Is regular physical activity part of the plan?
If the answer to any of these questions is no, keep looking. There are better diet plans out there for you.