SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Wrinkles are the lines and creases that form in your skin. Some wrinkles can become deep crevices or furrows and may be especially noticeable around your eyes, mouth and neck.
When to see a doctor
If you're concerned about the appearance of your skin, see a dermatologist. He or she can help you create a personalized skin care plan by assessing your skin type and evaluating your skin's condition. A dermatologist can also recommend medical wrinkle treatments.
- Photoaging. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mkgr/mmg/sec15/ch122/ch122c.jsp. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Puizina-Ivic N, et al. Modern approach to topical treatment of aging skin. Collegium Antropologicum. 2010;34:1145.
- Zerbos ZJ, et al. Update on botulinum toxin and dermal fillers. Current Opinion in Opthalmology. 2010;21:387.
- Facial skin rejuvenation. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/cosmetic_facial.html. Accessed Nov. 5, 2010.
- Aging hair/skin problems: Wrinkles. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/wrinkles.html. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Basavaraj KH, et. al. Diet in dermatology: Present perspectives. Indian Journal of Dermatology. 2010;55:205.
- Zussman J, et al. Vitamins and photoaging: Do scientific data support their use? Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;63:507.
- Tierney EP, et al. Recent advances in combination treatments for photoaging: Review of the literature. Dermatologic Surgery. 2010;36:829.
- Paes EC, et al. Perioral wrinkles: Histologic differences between men and women. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2009;29:467.
- Baumann L. Cosmetics and skin care in dermatology. In: Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3007166&searchStr=xerosis. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- 10 tips: Getting the best results from age-fighting topicals. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/age_fighting_results.html. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Cosmeceutical facts and your skin. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/general_cosmeceutical.html. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Technology report: Fractional photothermolysis. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/_NewsPage.aspx?id=1078&terms=fraxel#. Accessed Nov. 19, 2010.
- Technology report: Monopolar radiofrequency. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/_NewsPage.aspx?id=1378&terms=radiofrequency#. Accessed Nov. 19, 2010.