SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Signs and symptoms of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Burning, aching, gnawing or discomfort in your upper abdomen
- Acid reflux and heartburn
- Nausea and vomiting
- Bleeding in your digestive tract
- Unintended weight loss
- Decreased appetite
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you have a persistent, burning, aching or gnawing pain in your upper abdomen, especially if you've also been experiencing nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Tell your doctor if you've used over-the-counter acid-reducing medications such as omeprazole (Prilosec), cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid) or ranitidine (Zantac) for long periods of time. These medications may mask your symptoms, which could delay your diagnosis. If you have Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, early detection and treatment are important.
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/zollinger. Accessed July 28, 2012.
- How is cancer of the pancreas diagnosed? American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/PancreaticCancer/DetailedGuide/pancreatic-cancer-diagnosis. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Greenberger NJ, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Endoscopy. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=55957153. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Metz DC, et al. Gastrointestinal neuroendocrine tumors: Pancreatic endocrine tumors. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1469.
- Nauramy O, et al. Gastric acid hypersecretory states: Recent insights and advances. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2009;11:433.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Aug.7, 2012.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: Possible increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist, and spine with the use of proton pump inhibitors. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm. Accessed Aug. 7, 2012.
- Miller LJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 10, 2012.