If you're having cardiac catheterization as a test, your doctor should explain the results to you.
If you've had a coronary angiogram, your results could indicate that you need angioplasty or a stent, or a more major open-heart surgery called coronary bypass surgery. In some cases, your angiogram may show that angioplasty would likely be an effective treatment to open a narrowed artery. If your doctor finds this, he or she may perform angioplasty with or without a stent placement right away so that you won't need to have another cardiac catheterization.
Your doctor should discuss whether this is a possibility before the procedure begins.
May 05, 2016
- Cardiac catheterization. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular-disorders/cardiovascular-tests-and-procedures/cardiac-catheterization. Accessed Feb. 24, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cath. Accessed Feb. 23, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Cardiac-Catheterization_UCM_451486_Article.jsp#.VtIxfvkrLIU. Accessed Feb. 24, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Diagnostic cardiac catheterization and coronary angiography. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 24, 2016.
- Bonow RO, et al. Cardiac catheterization. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 24, 2016.
- Fuster V, et al., eds. Cardiac catheterization, cardiac angiography, and coronary blood flow and pressure measurements. In: Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 24, 2016.
- Cullen MW, et al. Transvenous, antegrade melody valve-in-valve implantation for bioprosthetic mitral and tricuspid valve dysfunction. Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2013;6:598.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 27, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. About your pacemaker implantation. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Rihal CS, et al. Principles of percutaneous paravalvular leak enclosure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2012;5:121.
- Sorajja P, et al. Survival after alcohol septal ablation for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2012;126:2374.
- Eleid MF, et al. Continuous left atrial pressure monitoring during Mitraclip. Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2015; 8:e117.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 1, 2016.