An angiogram can show doctors what's wrong with your blood vessels. It can:
- Show how many of your coronary arteries are blocked or narrowed by fatty plaques (atherosclerosis)
- Pinpoint where blockages are located in your blood vessels)
- Show how much blood flow is blocked through your blood vessels)
- Check the results of previous coronary bypass surgery)
- Check the blood flow through your heart and blood vessels)
Knowing this information can help your doctor determine what treatment is best for you and how much danger your heart condition poses to your health. Based on your results, your doctor may decide, for instance, that you would benefit from having coronary angioplasty or stenting to help clear clogged arteries. It's also possible that angioplasty or stenting could be done during your angiogram to avoid needing another procedure.
Nov. 09, 2016
- Angiogram. Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions. http://www.secondscount.org/tests/test-detail?cid=def4661c-6a8d-4e13-a7c7-0751770609ee#.V8OOdDUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 29, 2016.
- Fuster V, et al., eds. Cardiac catheterization, cardiac angiography, and coronary blood flow and pressure measurements. In: Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Cardiac-Catheterization_UCM_451486_Article.jsp#.V8OeeTUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Diagnostic cardiac catheterization and coronary angiography. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cath/#. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Catheterization and angiography. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Angiogram. Society for Vascular Surgery. https://vascular.org/print/patient-resources/vascular-tests/angiogram. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.