Although you don't need a prescription to buy a light therapy box, it's best to ask your doctor or mental health provider if light therapy is a good option for you. Ask whether you need to take any special precautions. Also discuss which type of light therapy box would best meet your needs, so you get the most benefit and minimize possible side effects.
Internet retailers, drugstores and other stores offer a variety of light therapy boxes. Familiarize yourself with the variety of features and options available on light boxes to help ensure that you buy a high-quality product that's safe and effective. Health insurance companies rarely cover the cost.
Feb. 08, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Martensson B, et al. Bright white light therapy in depression: A critical review of the evidence. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2015;182:1.
- Lam RW, et al. Efficacy of bright light treatment, fluoxetine, and the combination in patients with nonseasonal major depressive disorder: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016;73:56.
- Racz E, et al. Phototherapy and photochemotherapy for psoriasis. Dermatologic Clinics. 2015;33:79.
- Van Maanen A, et al. The effects of light therapy on sleep problems: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews. 2016;29:52.
- Avery D. Seasonal affective disorder: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 8, 2016.
- Sanassi LA. Seasonal affective disorder: Is there light at the end of the tunnel? JAAPA. 2014;27:18.
- Melrose S. Seasonal affective disorder: An overview of assessment and treatment approaches. Depression Research and Treatment. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4673349/. Accessed Feb. 8, 2016.
- Kurlansik SL, et al. Seasonal affective disorder. American Family Physician. 2012;86:1037.
- O'Leary RE, et al. Update on tanning: More risks, fewer benefits. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;70:562.
- Seasonal affective disorders (SAD) — Treatment. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Seasonal-affective-disorder/Pages/Treatment.aspx. Accessed Feb. 15, 2016.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2016.