Heart (cardiac) and chest (thoracic) surgeons at Mayo Clinic diagnose and surgically treat conditions of the heart, lungs and chest. Mayo Clinic surgeons perform more than 4,000 cardiac surgeries each year, including numerous complex surgical procedures at campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota.
Cardiac surgeons' discussion at Mayo Clinic
Cardiac surgeons communicate and work together to treat people at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic surgeons are on the leading edge of treating cardiovascular and cardiothoracic conditions using the latest innovations and techniques in heart surgery, including minimally invasive heart surgery such as robot-assisted heart surgery.
Our surgeons treat many conditions and perform many complex procedures, including:
Doctors and surgeons work as a team at Mayo Clinic
Doctors and surgeons work as a team to conduct a procedure at Mayo Clinic.
Our focused experts collaborate closely with a multidisciplinary team of surgeons and doctors in several areas to provide integrated care for people, including:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Gastroenterology and hepatology
- Pulmonary and critical care medicine
- Vascular and endovascular surgery
- Vascular medicine
Collaboration at Mayo Clinic
Doctors at Mayo Clinic collaborate to provide integrated care.
Care at Mayo Clinic
- Research. Mayo Clinic's long history of pioneering medical research means patients have access to state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment facilities and numerous groundbreaking clinical trials, including more than 100 heart-related clinical trials. Mayo Clinic surgeons are constantly seeking new knowledge to improve diagnosis and therapies for patients. Our surgeons' close collaboration with physicians and scientists at other medical centers contributes to the advancement of cardiovascular surgery research and care for people.
- Collaborative care. Cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeons at Mayo Clinic are part of an integrated, multidisciplinary team of doctors and health care professionals who provide individualized care for each patient. These experts include anesthetists, pathologists, radiologists, pediatricians, physical therapists and doctors in many other specialties as well as nurse practitioners, physician assistants, dietitians and geneticists.
- Focused on you. Having all this expertise in a single place, focused on you, means that you're not just getting one opinion — your care is discussed among the team, your test results are available quickly and appointments are scheduled in coordination. Specialists work together to evaluate and treat you. Evaluation and treatment can typically be done in a matter of days at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
A team at Mayo Clinic
A team works together to evaluate and treat people at Mayo Clinic.
Cardiovascular surgery is also provided to children at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Cardiovascular surgeons trained in treating children work in collaboration with doctors trained in treating child and adolescent cardiovascular conditions (pediatric cardiologists) as well as other pediatric specialists.
Mayo Clinic Health System clinics, hospitals and health care facilities serve more than 70 communities in Iowa, Georgia, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Cardiovascular surgeons also perform surgery at Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
Feb. 16, 2016