Binge-eating disorder is a serious eating disorder in which you frequently consume unusually large amounts of food and feel unable to stop eating.
Almost everyone overeats on occasion, such as having seconds or thirds of a holiday meal. But for some people, excessive overeating that feels out of control and becomes a regular occurrence crosses the line to binge-eating disorder.
When you have binge-eating disorder, you may be embarrassed about overeating and vow to stop. But you feel such a compulsion that you can't resist the urges and continue binge eating. If you have binge-eating disorder, treatment can help.
Feb. 09, 2016
- Binge eating disorder. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/binge.htm. Accessed Feb. 28, 2015.
- Binge-eating disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Vyvanse (prescribing information). Wayne, Pa.: Shire US, Inc.; 2015. http://www.vyvanse.com/. Accessed Feb. 27, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 11, 2015.
- Grothe K (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 26, 2015.
- Sim LA, et al. Identification and treatment of eating disorders in the primary care setting. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:746.
- Binge eating disorder. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/eating_disorders/binge_eating_disorder.html. Accessed Feb. 28, 2015.
- Sysko R, et al. Binge eating disorder in adults: Overview of treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2015.
- Goracci A, et al. Pharmacotherapy of binge-eating disorder: A review. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 2015;9:1.
- Jasik CB. Body image and health: Eating disorders and obesity. Primary Care. 2014;4:519.
- Eating disorders: Advice for parents. NHS Choice. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/eatingdisorders/Pages/eating-disorders-advice-parents.aspx. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- McElroy SL, et al. Efficacy and safety of lisdexamfetamine for treatment of adults with moderate to severe binge-eating disorder: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72:235.
- Winham SJ, et al. Bipolar disorder with comorbid binge eating history: A genome-wide association study implicates APOB. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2014;165:151.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:e75.