If your baby is born with clubfoot, he or she will likely be diagnosed soon after birth. In some cases, your baby's doctor may refer you to a pediatric orthopedist.
If you have time before meeting with your child's doctor, make a list of questions. Your time with the doctor may be limited, so it helps to be prepared. Here are some questions to consider asking:
- Do you commonly treat newborns with clubfoot?
- Should my child be referred to a specialist?
- What types of corrective treatment are available?
- Will my child need surgery?
- What kind of follow-up care will my child need?
- Should I get a second opinion before beginning my child's treatment? Will my insurance cover it?
- After treatment, will my child be able to walk normally?
- Are there any printed materials that I can have? What websites do you recommend?
In addition, tell your doctor:
- If you have family members — including extended family — who've had clubfoot
- If you had any medical issues or problems during your pregnancy
March 23, 2016
- Clubfoot. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00255. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Clubfoot. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/complications/clubfoot.aspx#. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Clubfoot. American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society. https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-smaller-toes/Pages/Clubfoot.aspx. Accessed Feb. 17, 2016.
- Chu A, et al Treatment of idiopathic clubfoot in the Ponseti era and beyond. Foot and Ankle Clinics. 2015;20:555.
- Smith WG. Interventions for congenital talipes equinovarus (clubfoot). Paediatrics and Child Health. 2015;20:307.
- Dodwell E, et al. Factors associated with increased risk of clubfoot: A Norwegian National Cohort Analysis. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:e104.
- Werler MM, et al. Maternal cigarette, alcohol, and coffee consumption in relation to risk of clubfoot. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology. 2015;29:3.
- Zionts LE. What's new in idiopathic clubfoot? Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:547.
- Morgenstein A, et al. A randomized clinical trial comparing reported measured wear rates in clubfoot bracing using a novel pressure sensor. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:185.
- Luckett MR, et al. Factors predictive of second recurrence in clubfeet treated by Ponseti casting. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2015;35:303.
- Milbrandt TA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2016.