A double uterus often causes no symptoms. The condition may be discovered during a regular pelvic exam or during imaging tests to determine the cause of repeated miscarriages.
Women who have a double vagina along with a double uterus may initially consult a doctor for menstrual bleeding that isn't stopped by a tampon. In these situations, the woman has placed a tampon in one vagina, but blood is still escaping from the second uterus and vagina.
When to see a doctor
Seek medical advice if you have a menstrual flow despite the insertion of a tampon, or if you have severe pain with menstruation or experience repeated miscarriages.
Doctors aren't certain why some fetuses develop a double uterus and others don't. A genetic component may be a factor because this rare condition sometimes runs in families.
Many women with a double uterus have normal sex lives, pregnancies and deliveries. But sometimes a double uterus and other abnormalities of uterine development are associated with:
- Premature birth
- Kidney abnormalities
April 06, 2016
- Lentz GM, et al. Congenital abnormalities of the female reproductive tract. In: Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 26, 2016.
- Iverson RE, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of congenital anomalies of the uterus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2016.
- Hoffman BL, et al. Congenital genitourinary abnormalitis. In: Williams Gynecology. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed March 3, 2016.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Vulvovaginal and Mullerian anomalies. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 20th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 3, 2016.
- Iverson RE, et al. Surgical management of congenital uterine abnormalities. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 3, 2016.
- Laufer MR. Diagnosis and management of congenital anomalies of the vagina. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 3, 2016.