Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart and blood vessel conditions (cardiologists) and heart and blood vessel surgery (cardiovascular surgeons) have experience and expertise diagnosing and treating people with pulmonary valve disease and other types of heart valve disease. Doctors trained in treating children with heart disease (pediatric cardiologists) have experience treating children with pulmonary valve disease and other heart diseases at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota.
Mayo doctors evaluate and treat more than 5,000 people with pulmonary valve disease each year.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo doctors in the Valvular Heart Disease Clinic have extensive experience and expertise treating pulmonary valve disease and other heart valve diseases.
- Surgical experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience treating pulmonary valve disease and other types of heart valve disease with several types of heart valve surgery. Doctors may use minimally invasive heart surgery to treat some types of heart valve disease.
- Research. Doctors at Mayo Clinic study new diagnostic tests and treatment options for pulmonary valve disease and other heart valve diseases and conduct clinical trials. Mayo researchers study less invasive methods of treating pulmonary valve disease, such as using catheter procedures to implant pulmonary valves.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiac surgery and cardiovascular diseases departments' expertise and rankings.
Dec. 02, 2016
- What is heart valve disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hvd. Accessed Nov. 3, 2015.
- Pulmonary valve stenosis. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/Pulmonary-Valve-Stenosis_UCM_307034_Article.jsp#.Vjp2ttiFPmI. Accessed Nov. 3, 2015.
- Stout K. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of pulmonic stenosis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2015.
- Single ventricle defects. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/Single-Ventricle-Defects_UCM_307037_Article.jsp#.Vjp3INiFPmI. Accessed Nov. 3, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 4, 2015.
- Armstrong AK, et al. One-year follow-up of the Melody transcatheter pulmonary valve multicenter post-approval study. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2014;7:1254.
- Stout K. Natural history and treatment of pulmonic stenosis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 5, 2015.