Lifestyle and home remedies
Why are whole grains better than refined grains?
Tests and diagnosis
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
Angiotensin II receptor blockers, sometimes called angiotensin II inhibitors, treat a variety of conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart failure and scleroderma.
Beta blockers treat a variety of conditions, such as high blood pressure, glaucoma and migraines. Find out more about dosing and side effects.
Dec. 02, 2016
- What is an aneurysm? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arm. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Hiratzka LF, et al. 2010 ACCF/AHA/AATS/ACR/ASA/SCA/SCAI/SIR/STS/SVM guidelines for the diagnosis and management of patients with thoracic aortic disease: Executive summary. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 2010;76:E43.
- Aortic aneurysms. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. http://www.sts.org/patient-information/aneurysm-surgery/aortic-aneurysms. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Thoracic aortic aneurysms. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/diseases_of_the_aorta_and_its_branches/thoracic_aortic_aneurysms.html?qt=thoracic%20aortic%20aneurysm&alt=sh. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=330§ionid=44291014. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- What is Marfan syndrome? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mar. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- What is EDS? Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://www.ednf.org/what-eds. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Booher AM, et al. Diagnosis and management issues in thoracic aortic aneurysm. American Heart Journal. 2011;162:38.
- Jondeau G, et al. Genetics of thoracic aortic aneurysms. Current Atherosclerosis Reports. 2012;14:219.
- Shah AA, et al. Results of thoracic endovascular aortic repair 6 years after United States Food and Drug Administration approval. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2012;94:1394.
- Wright MJ. Management of Marfan syndrome and related disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Thoracic aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections. GeneReviews. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1120/?report=printable. Accessed Dec. 15, 2014.
- Woo YJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of thoracic aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Woo YJ, et al. Epidemiology, risk factors, pathogenesis and natural history of thoracic aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Woo YJ, et al. Management and outcome of thoracic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Wang GJ, et al. Endovascular repair of the thoracic aorta. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Dines DE, et al. Thoracic aortic aneurysm: Case report of fatal rupture. Rocky Mountain Medical Journal. 1961;58:39.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. December 5, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. How is Marfan syndrome diagnosed? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals 2014-15. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 29, 2014.
- Bowen JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 5, 2015.
- Coselli JS, et al. Early and 1-year outcomes of aortic root surgery in patients with Marfan syndrome: A prospective, multicenter, comparative study. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;147:1758.
- Mosman EA. Radiology information management system. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 12, 2015.
- Severson RM. Society of Thoracic Surgeons National Database. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.