There's no specific test that can diagnose Tourette syndrome. The diagnosis is based on the history of your signs and symptoms.
The criteria used to diagnose Tourette syndrome include:
- Both motor tics and vocal tics are present, although not necessarily at the same time
- Tics occur several times a day, nearly every day or intermittently, for more than a year
- Tics begin before age 18
- Tics aren't caused by medications, other substances or another medical condition
A diagnosis of Tourette syndrome might be overlooked because the signs can mimic other conditions. Eye blinking might be initially associated with vision problems, or sniffling attributed to allergies.
Both motor and vocal tics can be caused by conditions other than Tourette syndrome. To rule out other causes of tics, your doctor might recommend:
- Blood tests
- Imaging studies such as MRI
Nov. 21, 2015
- Jankovic J. Tourette syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Tourette's syndrome. In: Ferri's Practical Guide: Fast Facts for Patient Care. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 7, 2015.
- Hallett M. Tourette syndrome: Update. Brain & Development. 2015;37:651.
- Zhang JG, et al. Long-term outcomes of globus pallidus internus deep brain stimulation in patients with Tourette syndrome. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:1506.
- Gilbert DL, et al. Pharmacological treatment of Tourette syndrome. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders. 2014;3:407.
- Swaiman K, et al., eds. Tics and Tourette's syndrome. In: Swaiman's Pediatric Neurology: Principles and Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier: 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 8, 2015.
- Shaw ZA, et al. Tics and Tourette syndrome. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2014;37:269.
- Ganos C, et al. Tics and Tourette syndrome. Neurologic Clinics. 2015;33:115.
- Ghosh D, et al. Sleep disorders in children with Tourette syndrome. Pediatric Neurology. 2014;51:31.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2015.
- Tourette syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tourette/detail_tourette.htm. Accessed Nov. 8, 2015.