Expertise and experience
Mayo Clinic eye doctors (ophthalmologists) have extensive experience, treating nearly 2,000 people with wet macular degeneration each year. Ophthalmologists trained in retinal diseases evaluate and treat people with macular degeneration.
Staff at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, treat more than 1,300 people with wet macular degeneration each year. At Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, more than 450 people are treated each year. At Mayo Clinic's campus in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, nearly 100 people are treated each year.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked high performing for ophthalmology by U.S. News & World Report.
Dec. 24, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Preferred Practice Pattern: Age-related macular degeneration. San Francisco, CA: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2015. http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/age-related-macular-degeneration-ppp-2015. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Age-related macular degeneration? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd.cfm. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Facts about age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts.asp. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Lawrenson JG, et al. Omega 3 fatty acids for preventing or slowing the progression of age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.16.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Age-related macular degeneration. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Ranibizumab. Micromedex. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Oct. 8, 2015.
- Garg SJ. Age-related macular degeneration. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/retinal-disorders/age-related-macular-degeneration-amd-or-armd. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Moja L, et al. Systemic safety of bevacizumab versus ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.17.0a/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Aflibercept. Micromedex. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Oct. 8, 2015.
- Arroyo JG. Age-related macular degeneration: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 25, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 22, 2015.
- Garrity J. Structure and function of the eyes. Merck Manual Consumer Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/eye-disorders/biology-of-the-eyes/structure-and-function-of-the-eyes. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Sloan FA, et al. The effects of technological advances on outcomes for elderly persons with exudative age-related macular degeneration. JAMA Ophthalmology. 2014;132:456.