Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Living through a traumatic event can leave lasting scars. Medications, therapy and coping skills can help you regain a sense of control.
Treatments and drugs
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
Feb. 23, 2016
- Lebow J. Overview of psychotherapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy. National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists. http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm. Accessed Jan. 10, 2016.
- Psychotherapy. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/Psychotherapy. Accessed Jan. 10, 2016.
- Understanding psychotherapy and how it works. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/understanding-psychotherapy.aspx. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct: Including 2010 amendments. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Psychotherapies. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/psychotherapies/index.shtml. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- PTSD: National Center for PTSD — Types of therapists. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/therapy-med/types_of_therapists.asp. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- PTSD: National Center for PTSD — Choosing a therapist. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/therapy-med/choosing_a_therapist.asp. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- HIPPA privacy rule and sharing information related to mental health. HHS.gov. http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/mental-health/index.html. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2016.
Cognitive behavioral therapy