A coronary angiogram is a procedure that uses X-ray imaging to see your heart's blood vessels. The test is generally done to see if there's a restriction in blood flow going to the heart.
Coronary angiograms are part of a general group of procedures known as heart (cardiac) catheterizations. Cardiac catheterization procedures can both diagnose and treat heart and blood vessel conditions. A coronary angiogram, which can help diagnose heart conditions, is the most common type of cardiac catheterization procedure.
During a coronary angiogram, a type of dye that's visible by an X-ray machine is injected into the blood vessels of your heart. The X-ray machine rapidly takes a series of images (angiograms), offering a look at your blood vessels. If necessary, your doctor can open clogged heart arteries (angioplasty) during your coronary angiogram.
Nov. 09, 2016
- Angiogram. Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions. http://www.secondscount.org/tests/test-detail?cid=def4661c-6a8d-4e13-a7c7-0751770609ee#.V8OOdDUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 29, 2016.
- Fuster V, et al., eds. Cardiac catheterization, cardiac angiography, and coronary blood flow and pressure measurements. In: Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Cardiac-Catheterization_UCM_451486_Article.jsp#.V8OeeTUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Diagnostic cardiac catheterization and coronary angiography. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cath/#. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Catheterization and angiography. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Angiogram. Society for Vascular Surgery. https://vascular.org/print/patient-resources/vascular-tests/angiogram. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.