If your blood sample is being tested only for ferritin, you can eat and drink normally before the test. If your blood sample will be used for additional tests, you may need to fast for a certain amount of time before the test. Your doctor will give you specific instructions.
Feb. 10, 2017
- Ferritin, serum. Mayo Medical Laboratories. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Overview/88153. Accessed Oct. 14, 2016.
- Gomella LG, et al., eds. Laboratory diagnosis: Chemistry, immunology, serology. In: Clinician's Pocket Reference: The Scut Monkey. 11th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=365. Accessed Oct. 14, 2016.
- Ferritin. Lab Tests Online. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ferritin/tab/test. Accessed Oct. 14, 2016.
- Mesa RA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona. Oct. 17, 2016.
- Picchietti DL. Restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease during pregnancy and lactation. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2016.
- Mandl LA. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of adult Still's disease. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2016.
- Laffel L. Epidemiology, presentation, and diagnosis of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2016.