Focused ultrasound surgery:
- Eases bothersome symptoms associated with uterine fibroids, including heavy menstrual bleeding and pelvic pain and pressure
- Provides a noninvasive alternative to surgical treatment of fibroids
- Is done on an outpatient basis
- Typically allows a rapid return to normal activities after the procedure
Although focused ultrasound surgery offers many advantages over other fibroid treatment options, it's not the best option for everyone. It may not be a good choice for you if:
- You have multiple abdominal scars that make it difficult to find a safe path between the transducer and the fibroid
- You have many fibroids or very large fibroids
- You want to optimize your chance of a future pregnancy
A number of women have had successful pregnancies after treatment. However, long-term effects on a woman's ability to become pregnant and carry a baby to term haven't been studied adequately.
April 30, 2016
- Zupi E, et al. Nonsurgical alternatives for uterine fibroids. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology. In press. Accessed March 20, 2016.
- Kong CY, et al. MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroid treatment: A cost-effective analysis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2014;203:361.
- Jacoby VL, et al. PROMISe trial: A pilot, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound for uterine fibroids. Fertility and Sterility. 2016;105:773.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): Body. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=bodymr. Accessed March 20, 2016.
- Kim HK, et al. Three cases of complications after high-intensity focused ultrasound treatment in unmarried women. Obstetrics and Gynecology Science. 2015;58:542.
- Mindjuk I, et al. MRI predictors of clinical success in MR-guided focused ultrasound (MRgFUS) treatments of uterine fibroids: Results from a single centre. European Radiology. 2015;25:1317.
- Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;372:1646.
- Coakley FV, et al. Pelvic applications of MR-guided high intensity focused ultrasound. Abdominal Imaging. 2013;38:1120.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2016.
Focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids