Osteoarthritis is the wear-and-tear type of arthritis that commonly affects the knees of older people. The disease frequently affects one side of your knee more than the other. This unequal damage can cause or worsen a malalignment that may make your stance look knock-kneed or bowlegged.
As the damage progresses, this malalignment worsens. A knee brace can take pressure off the part of your joint most affected by osteoarthritis and help relieve pain. If your knee feels like it might buckle when you put weight on it, a knee brace can also help you stand and move around with more confidence.
Oct. 26, 2016
- DeLee JC, et al. Knee arthritis. In: DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Frontera WR. Knee osteoarthritis. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Steadman JR, et al. Current state of unloading braces for knee osteoarthritis. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2016;24:42.
- Duivenvoorden T, et al. Braces and orthoses for treating osteoarthritis of the knee. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004020.pub3/abstract. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2016.
- Arthritis of the knee. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00212. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Firestein GS, et al. Treatment of osteoarthritis. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Moyer RF, et al. Valgus bracing for knee osteoarthritis: A meta-analysis of randomized trials. Arthritis Care & Research. 2015;67:493.
- Squyer E, et al. Unloader knee bracers for osteoarthritis: Do patients actually wear them? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2013;471:1982.
Knee braces for osteoarthritis