Your doctor may recommend periodic imaging tests during and after your proton therapy to determine whether your cancer is responding to the treatments. How often you'll undergo scans depends on your situation.
April 09, 2016
- Brada M, et al. Current clinical evidence for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:319.
- Ahmad S, et al. Advances in radiotherapy. BMJ. 2012;345:e7765.
- Flanz J, et al. Technology for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:292.
- Devicienti S, et al. Patient positioning in the proton radiotherapy era. Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research. 2010;29:47.
- Proton therapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=protonthera. Accessed Jan. 21, 2016.
- Found 180 open studies with search of: proton therapy AND cancer. ClinicalTrials.gov. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=proton+therapy+AND+cancer. Accessed Jan. 21, 2016.
- Foote RL, et al. The clinical case for proton beam therapy. Radiation Oncology. 2012;7:174.
- Wang D. A critical appraisal of the clinical utility of proton therapy in oncology. Medical Devices: Evidence and Research. 2015;8:439.
- Schulz-Ertner D. The clinical experience with particle therapy in adults. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:306.
- Allen AM, et al. An evidence based review of proton beam therapy: The report of ASTRO's emerging technology committee. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2012;103:8.
- McMullen KP, et al. Practical aspects of pediatric proton radiation therapy. The Cancer Journal. 2014;20:393.
- Plastaras JP, et al. Special cases for proton beam radiotherapy: Re-irradiation, lymphoma, and breast cancer. Seminars in Oncology. 2014;41:807.
- Chen AB. Comparative effectiveness research in radiation oncology: Assessing technology. Seminars in Radiation Oncology. 2014;24:25.
- Foote RL. Personal correspondence. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 25, 2016.
- Foote RL. Personal correspondence. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 1, 2016.