Proton therapy is a type of radiation therapy — a treatment that uses high-energy beams to treat tumors. Radiation therapy using X-rays has long been used to treat cancers and noncancerous (benign) tumors. Proton therapy is an established type of radiation therapy that uses energy from positively charged particles called protons.
Proton therapy has shown promise in treating several kinds of cancer. Studies have suggested that proton therapy may cause fewer side effects than traditional radiation, since doctors can better control where the proton beams deposit their energy. But few studies have directly compared proton therapy radiation and X-ray radiation, so it's not clear whether proton therapy is more effective in prolonging lives.
Proton therapy isn't widely available in the United States.
April 09, 2016
- Brada M, et al. Current clinical evidence for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:319.
- Ahmad S, et al. Advances in radiotherapy. BMJ. 2012;345:e7765.
- Flanz J, et al. Technology for proton therapy. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:292.
- Devicienti S, et al. Patient positioning in the proton radiotherapy era. Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research. 2010;29:47.
- Proton therapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=protonthera. Accessed Jan. 21, 2016.
- Found 180 open studies with search of: proton therapy AND cancer. ClinicalTrials.gov. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=proton+therapy+AND+cancer. Accessed Jan. 21, 2016.
- Foote RL, et al. The clinical case for proton beam therapy. Radiation Oncology. 2012;7:174.
- Wang D. A critical appraisal of the clinical utility of proton therapy in oncology. Medical Devices: Evidence and Research. 2015;8:439.
- Schulz-Ertner D. The clinical experience with particle therapy in adults. Cancer Journal. 2009;15:306.
- Allen AM, et al. An evidence based review of proton beam therapy: The report of ASTRO's emerging technology committee. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2012;103:8.
- McMullen KP, et al. Practical aspects of pediatric proton radiation therapy. The Cancer Journal. 2014;20:393.
- Plastaras JP, et al. Special cases for proton beam radiotherapy: Re-irradiation, lymphoma, and breast cancer. Seminars in Oncology. 2014;41:807.
- Chen AB. Comparative effectiveness research in radiation oncology: Assessing technology. Seminars in Radiation Oncology. 2014;24:25.
- Foote RL. Personal correspondence. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 25, 2016.
- Foote RL. Personal correspondence. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 1, 2016.